It’s been a few months, but the condo development at 103 S. Prospect (vacant lot across from Talley’s) will be on the agenda for Monday’s Village Board meeting.
This is an opportunity for you to voice your opinion on the proposed development.
WHAT: Possible Zoning Change and Comprehensive Plan Amendment for Condominium Proposal at 103 S. Prospect Ave (a/k/a “88 Park”)
WHEN: Monday, October, 7, 2013, 7:00 PM
WHERE: Village of Clarendon Hills Board of Trustees Meeting, 1 N. Prospect
In order for this development to be built, the developer must receive relief from the Zoning Code and amend the Downtown Master Plan.
- The property is zoned as “B-1″ Retail Business District, which is designed for retail and business uses. The Code expressly prohibits residential uses on the first floor. The development seeks relief from this.
The Downtown Master Plan (a component of the Comprehensive Plan) describes this property to be developed as follows: “one-story retail development and parking. Due to the size and depth of the site, it would be difficult to fit a multiple story, mixed-use development. Additional development would be acceptable if the developer was able to accommodate parking and sensitively transition to the single-family homes to the south”; “Develop 4,000 square feet of retail or restaurant. Consider 2 to 3 story mixed-use building with sufficient parking and transition / buffer to adjoining residential.”
In order for the development to move forward the, Village Board must make an exception (approve a variance) to the Zoning Code and change (amend) the Downtown Master Plan.
If approved, this exception, or change to the Zoning Code and Downtown Master Plan, could be precedent setting for future downtown developments.
After multiple reviews and meetings, both the Zoning Board and Downtown Design Review Committee have unanimously approved this development.
This action is being considered even though the Village continues its 2013 “Downtown Master Plan” update. The Village and several volunteers have spent countless hours since 2012 to examine the future of Downtown Clarendon Hills.
This parcel, located at the northeast corner of Prospect and Park, is undeniably acknowledged as a key “Gateway” entrance point to our Downtown. It is a major focal point.
Background with DTMP (Downtown Master Plan)
- In December 2012, the Village started a community-wide process to amend the DTMP:
“[T]he Village Board gave the nod … to review and update the Village’s various downtown planning documents so that they can better serve as a guide for future development in downtown Clarendon Hills. * * * The process will include multiple opportunities for public input and participation.” – Village Press Release 12/17/2012
- Throughout 2013, DTMP Review has been underway with several committee meetings.
- Many residents are volunteering their time serving on Land Use, Design, and Economic Development Committees.
- The Village this Spring held two community-wide meetings to get input from ALL residents.
- The goal has been to maximize resident input to come up with an updated DTMP and residents are continued to be asked, “What do YOU want for YOUR downtown?”
- DTMP REVIEW IS STILL IN PROCESS AND HAS NOT BEEN COMPLETED.
- Should the Village amend the Comprehensive Plan for this development while DTMP Review is underway?
- Should the Village allow a variance to the Zoning Code for this development while DTMP Review is underway?
- If this project is approved, what ripple effect, if any, will it have on how the rest of our Downtown will look?
- Has this application satisfied all applicable standards as it has gone through the process thus far?
- Should the Village do a current traffic and safety study for the Prospect/Park Avenue intersection and the impact of this development?
- Is this three-story, 8-unit condominium building an appropriate development for our downtown at this time?
Now is the time to voice your opinion on this development. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.